GARDENS & SPACES
The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center’s 284 acres are a mix of cultivated gardens, an arboretum, managed natural areas and wildlands that straddle the Edwards Plateau and Texas Blackland Prairies ecoregions. Our landscapes and buildings?reflect our purpose to conserve native plants, create sustainable landscapes and conserve resources.
- Nearly 900 species of native Texas plants have been cultivated or grow here naturally.
- Our buildings and hardscapes are?constructed with locally-harvested stones and reflect regional architectural styles.
- The Mollie Steves Zachary Texas Arboretum is 16 acres.
- The Central Gardens, Central Complex and Luci and Ian Family Garden cover 9 acres.
- The built structures harvest rainwater into a 68,500-gallon capacity storage system.
- We manage our?landscapes to support a vast web of life, and have recorded more than?143 species of birds, 15 species of mammals, and 1,800?species of insects.